Using the V.360 Surround Camera
From Immersive Visualization Lab Wiki
The V.360 camera records stills and video.
- Field of view: 360 degrees horizontal, 60 degrees vertical
- Video frame rate: 30 fps
- Video format: MP4
- Video resolution: 6480 x 1080
- Burst mode: 5 pictures in quick succession
- Bluetooth version: 4.0
- USB port: version 3.0
- Storage: Micro SD, up to 128GB
- Recorded video consists of two 180 degree strips, stacked on one another without separation. The resolution of this footage is 3248 x 2178. MP4 video file size is ~2.4MB per second. The video codec is H264-MPEG4 AVC Part 10 (avc1). The video includes audio in stereo at 48kHz (as reported by VLC).
- Camera comes with conversion software "V360 Video Exporter". It converts to Youtube format (3840 x 1698 pixels) or Panoramic (3840 x 642 pixels). Both conversions result in files 1/4 the size of the original. The Youtube type adds black space at top and bottom of the video to pad it for a 180 degree vertical field of view.
Viewing with Gear VR
- Two approaches for conversion:
- Simple approach (cuts resolution in half): Export video with video exporter to Youtube format.
- Advanced approach (retains original 6k resolution): Use FFMPEG
- To use MilkVR player:
- Add "_360x180" to the file name. Example: original file is 20160128_131244.mp4. Rename to 20160128_131244_360x180.mp4.
- Copy file to phone's MilkVR directory.
- Put on Gear VR and run MilkVR. The file should show up under Downloaded.
- To use Samsung VR player:
- Add "_3dpv" to the filename before the extension (or _3dph for horizontally split video)
- Copy the file anywhere on the phone, including the SD card
- Put on Gear VR and run Samsung VR
- Go to downloads folder
- Play video. May need to push the video format button a few times until it's correctly played back.
- Look here for more information.
- Create folder "360Photos" under Oculus folder.
- Create your own subfolder under Oculus/360Photos folder for the new images.
- Load photos into this folder.
- Put "360x60" etc in file names? Not sure about next step-pictures won't show up in 360 yet