Independent study projects
Independent Study Projects (CSE 198/199)
- Prerequisite is that you have taken one of my graphics courses (CSE 167, 165 or 190), or that you can demonstrate equivalent experience.
- To apply contact me directly by email or come to my office hours.
- I need you to sign up by the end of week 2. (Even if the department deadline is later.)
- I can only support a limited number of projects each quarter.
- I offer CSE 198/199 projects for 2 or 4 units. 2 units requires a commitment of 5 hours/week, at 4 units it's 10 hours/week.
- The CSE department does not offer CSE 98 or CSE 99 projects. Freshmen and sophomores who want to sign up for a CSE 198 or 199 have to first submit a 199/198 form at the advising office, then get approval from their college.
To Sign Up
Once we agreed on a project you need to come to my office hours or at another time that you catch me in my office, or before or after class and bring:
- A printout of your project description, along with weekly milestones - both usually fit on one or two pages.
- The filled out signup form.
The top part of the form is for your personal data. You can leave Section and Section ID blank, the advising office will fill those out for you. To fill out the second section on the form use the following information:
- Name of Instructor: Jurgen Schulze
- Teaching Title: Adjunct Professor
- Prerequisite course work: depends on your background and the project - CSE 167 or CSE 165 always qualify
- Nature and frequency of contact: weekly meeting
- Means of evaluation: presentation on Friday before finals week
- Proposed plan: put "see attached sheet"; then attach a 1-paragraph description of your project, along with milestones for each of the 11 weeks of the quarter
- Student signature: sign and date
During the quarter I would like you to come to my weekly team meetings on Fridays at 11am in room 2004 of Atkinson Hall. This is the primary way for us to connect each week. Besides these meetings, we will schedule separate meetings as needed, especially at the beginning of the quarter.
At the end of the quarter: On the last Friday before finals week the team meeting at 11am in room 2004 of Atkinson Hall turns into a project video presentation meeting. Everyone who needs a grade from me needs to show a Youtube video of the graphics applications they created. The video should be structured to showcase the different parts of the project, and should have text overlays or voiceover to explain what can be seen. The video also needs to have a title slide with the name of your project, and the names of the members of your team if it is a CSE 198 project. You can say a few words to introduce the video. The total amount of time for your presentation needs to be 5 minutes or less.